IRS Confirms Returning Tax Filing Deadline on April 18, Make Sure Not to Miss it

The Internal Revenue Service Building, located in the center of the Federal Triangle complex in Washington, D.C (Library of Congress on wiki media)

The IRS demonstrates moving the tax filing deadline back to April since Emancipation Day is on Saturday, April 16 while in Washington, D.C., Friday is a public holiday.

Taxes are due on Monday, April 18, 2022, because federal offices are unavailable on that day. Because April 18 is Patriots’ Day, residents in Maine and Massachusetts must file their taxes by April 19, NBC 4 posted. 

January 18 Deadline

According to Kron 4, on Monday, January 24, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will begin receiving federal income tax returns for the year 2021. So, whether you file virtually or by mail, if you like to get the job done as soon as possible, you’ll want to ensure you have all of your forms and paperwork in order by that date.

KGW 8 wrote that Congress granted the child tax credit to help families financially during the epidemic by paying it out early. The first payment was made in July, and the last was made in December. You’ll be able to claim only half of the child tax credit on your taxes this year came those checks. Parents or legal guardians of children under the age of five are eligible to $3,600 per child, while those aged six to seventeen are eligible to $3,000 per child.


In the case of a family receiving prepayments for a child under the age of 10, April Gutierrez, a certified public accountant, and co-owner of Pacific Northwest Tax Service estimated that they would have gotten $1,500 of the maximum $3,000 for that child. They would have received $1,800 of the $3,600 they are entitled to for that child for the year if they had a child who was four years old.

The way you file your taxes will change due to those early payments. In some cases, you may be owed a portion of the money back. For example, Kerry Morton, a certified public accountant, said there’s a chance you’ll have to pay some of it again if your filing status has changed, your revenue has increased, or the number of eligible children has decreased.